The client for this project was a mobility startup that provides scooters and bikes through a mobile app. They operate in over 100 cities around the world, having started on Facebook with the ambitious goal to grow fast, advertise in 8 different languages, and expand to new markets
Tier Mobility’s main challenges were hyperlocalizaton and profitable growth. They wanted to scale their user acquisition profitably and still localize their services in each market. The plan was to launch and scale more advertising channels while expanding to new markets.
We were chosen for this project because of our data-driven growth approach, which prioritizes profitable decision-making. We also have a background in software engineering, which allows us to understand how algorithms work behind the scenes. After the first call, our ideas about focus areas and expansion opportunities aligned quickly.
This project is one of the most complex growth projects in our portfolio to date. Let’s dive into it further in just 7 minutes.
Our goals were clear. We wanted to grow fast, advertise in 8 different languages, and keep hyperlocalized messaging. The initial plan was to expand to new markets and launch new advertising channels profitably. So, we started by auditing and restructuring all ad accounts.
This step was very important in building the fundamentals needed to scale fast. It helped us discover the pain points and make sure we were focusing our efforts in the right places. We created a naming convention to align teammates' understanding and built a structure to help us localize messaging.
Also, it helped to ensure all team members were on the same page because we had ambitious goals, as well as team members working on different parts of the process, internally and externally.
Since the iOS 14 update, marketers no longer have access to the data they had relied on before. These changes resulted in the creative testing process being considered one of the main reasons for success.
We established a hyperlocalized creative testing framework to test and find winning creatives in different languages and different markets. This step helped all stakeholders understand how to work together to achieve our ultimate goal, of growing fast. It helped us define the expectations of every team member and establish a scalable, systematic process.
We defined the main elements we needed to test, including the messages and the media type. We also defined the documentation process to help all the members understand where to find everything they needed to do their part, easily.
After structuring the ad accounts and defining the creative testing process, it was time to establish a data analysis framework. We needed to understand and report the results of our campaigns while breaking down our data into both individual markets and markets for different languages.
We started using the naming convention that we created in Step 1 and leveraging the creative testing framework we created in Step 2 to decide on the most important KPIs. We then broke down our data into individual markets and languages to answer all needed questions.
This step allowed us to set the baseline for diving deeper into individual markets, which later helped us identify the pain points and leverage growth opportunities. We created a very complex data stack, that incorporated everything from data warehouse to data visualization and a custom attribution model. We then built a vast collection of dashboards for every part of the process to be able to leverage this data in making optimization decisions. This eventually helped us achieve our goals.
At step 4, it was time to test and scale. We tested different creative messages, audiences, and campaign structures. We built a user acquisition funnel that reaches the user in multiple areas across the whole user journey, from engagement to acquisition and retargeting.
Eventually, we were able to unlock the true power of localization, expand to new markets steadily by launching paid social ads in new cities, and put the right message in front of the local users. We also scaled ad spend on existing paid social channels profitably with such level of ad personalization.
Step 4 helped us gain a full-circle understanding of our audience, identify what makes them convert, and personalize our messages, based on this understanding.
For this step, we began by searching for new advertising channels and networks where we could find users similar to the most active users of our app. We analyzed public data on social channels like TikTok, Twitter, Snapchat, and programmatic ad networks to forecast our expected performance. Our analysis helped us understand if our chosen channel was the right channel for us, both from an audience and a cost perspective.
We found a couple of networks we believed had potential based on our initial forecasts. We started testing them and not long after we were able to expand to new channels, and open up new streams of user acquisition.
~297% Increase in new user acquisition, 5x increase in ad spend – profitably –, launched 2 new paid social and paid search channels, and expanded to new international markets in the UK, France, and across Germany.
From building the initial strategy, onboarding new team members, and coordinating with stakeholders to final execution, we were able to sustainably and systematically manage the entire process, and prove that every brand's goals require its own unique strategy.
Such an approach works well for brands in Mobility and Fintech including Banking and investing businesses with >100,000 monthly budget.